Are You Being Bullied?
It’s only relatively recently that certain behaviors in the workplace have been described as “bullying.” Here are some common bullying behaviors.
Tactics of Bullies
- Blaming the target for “errors” that may not even exist
- Unreasonable job demands—heavy work loads or additional work hours
- Criticism of the target’s abilities
- Inconsistent compliance with company rules and policies
- Threats of job loss
- Insults and put-downs, sometimes publicly
- Discounting or denying a target’s accomplishments
- Exclusion of the target from information
- Yelling, swearing, name-calling and/or body language of disrespect or aggression
- Stealing credit for the target’s work
- Invalidating what the target knows to be true; fabricating “facts” related to the target’s performance
- Taking away the usual workload and replacing it with menial and/or meaningless tasks
- Constant unnecessary oversight